Sanctions can significantly impact companies doing business or seeking to do business in the targeted countries, whether it is Russia, Iran, Venezuela or other jurisdiction or with respect to targeted projects. Even inadvertent violations can often carry severe consequences. International sanctions imposed by the UN, EU and/or the USA may be aligned, but can also differ considerably. We have experience with UN, EU, USA as well as other national sanctions regimes and can assist you with advice, obtaining exemptions and taking appropriate compliance actions to protect your interests.
Examples of recent cases:
- Coordination with local counsel regarding ban on Russian sea-going vessels in relation to current arrest on Russian vessel in EU port;
- Seeking injunction for release of Russian steel shipments subject to EU Sanctions (listed person/entity);
- Advising supplier on compliance with US sanctions aimed at Nord Stream 2 pipeline project and dealing directly with US officials in that respect;
- Advising on compliance with US sanctions in connection with the oil and gas industry in Iran;
- Advising on compatibility of International Arbitration Award with respect to EU sanctions against individuals in Yemen;
- Coordinating with local counsel for filing exemptions from EU Sanctions concerning Russian steel destined for European traders and manufacturers;
- Advising on the interpretation of war risk clauses in light of EU sanctions concerning an offshore project;
- Advising on new EU sanctions concerning the oil and steel industry and their impact on current and new contracts/projects.