International arbitration is a specialist field and requires lawyers who know the terrain. Our firm’s multi-jurisdictional team of Dutch advocates and American attorneys are skilled in the techniques of cross examination, the practice of document disclosure, and other techniques which are part and parcel of modern international arbitration practice. Conway’s experience as arbitrators, party counsel, and advisors in this area sets us apart, including experience with most of the most widely used international arbitration rules procedures worldwide. It is, however, also our expertise to effectively represent our client’s interests in the English language before tribunals with diverse cultural backgrounds and under various legal regimes which makes Conway unique and positions us to achieve the desired results.
Worldwide Arbitrator services:
Serving as Arbitrators in dozens of international disputes under the rules of the ICC, UNCITRAL, AAA, NAI, CIETAC, LMAA and other institutions as well as ad hoc proceedings involving parties from throughout Europe, North America, Middle East, Asia, and South America.
Landmark ECJ decision on Competition Law in Arbitration:
After winning a major arbitration against Benetton International, our founding partner successfully defended challenges to the arbitral awards which went three times to the Supreme Court and to the European Court of Justice, resulting in the landmark decision concerning the relationship between EU competition law and international commercial arbitration, Eco Swiss China Time Ltd. v. Benetton International.
for international oil and gas company with respect to ICC Award relating to Middle East country Production Sharing Agreement.
Various ICC arbitrations on Middle East projects:
for example, acting for an international dredging company in a variety of disputes on projects in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and Qatar, as well as South East Asia.
WIPO arbitration over a failed joint technology venture:
Representing a Netherlands internet technology company in a dispute with a Japanese firm.
ICSID Dispute Advice against a North African government:
Advising an international construction company concerning a claim against a North African government on a claim under a bilateral investment treaty.
Arbitrator in LMAA dispute between Ghanaian parties:
London Maritime Arbitration Association proceeding between a port operator and services provider under three services agreements.
- Lead counsel in arbitrations seated throughout the world
- Guidance in selecting arbitrators
- Advice on structuring proceedings
- Effective oral representation before tribunals
- Drafting tailored dispute resolution schemes
- Choice of appropriate institutes and rules
- Award enforcement proceedings
Institutions and Rules
- International Chamber of Commerce, Court of Arbitration (ICC)
- Netherlands Arbitration Institute (NAI)
- American Arbitration Association (AAA)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC)
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- London Maritime Arbitration Association (LMAA)
- United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL)
- Court of Arbitration for Art (CAfA)