Conway & Partners is one of the few firms in the Benelux that has significant experience in the area of international arbitration. Our lawyers are often instructed to act in large, complex international disputes. In addition to counsel work, members of our arbitration team regularly accept appointments to sit as arbitrators.
We are not a litigation firm that also does arbitration. Our team of specialists spend a majority of their practice on international arbitration matters (as advisors, counsel or arbitrators) and related cases. Moreover, as international arbitration is often conducted in the English language and incorporates elements of the common law and civil law systems, our team of American and Dutch advocates is uniquely suited to offer our clients robust and effective representation.
The depth of our arbitration team‘s experience is one of the great advantages which Conway & Partners offers to its clients. Our lawyers have acted as counsel in numerous high-stakes disputes including precedent setting arbitrations and related court proceedings, such as the Eco Swis /Benneton case that resulted in the landmark European Court of Justice ruling on the relationship between E.U. competition law and commercial arbitration. The Conway & Partners team has acted in matters conducted under the auspices of the world‘s leading arbitral institutions or under well known ad hoc rules such as the following:
- International Chamber of Commerce, Court of Arbitration (ICC)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Netherlands Arbitration Institute (NAI)
- American Arbitration Association (AAA)
- Stockholm Chamber of Commerce (SCC)
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL)
Conway & Partners brings the kind of added value to an arbitration which most other firms cannot provide. As an example, we are able to provide the following unique services:
- Guidance on choosing a tribunal. Our firm maintains research on potential arbitrators, and our lawyers have experience with many of the world‘s best known arbitrators;
- Private international law (conflicts of law) expertise as well as in-depth knowlege of arbitral procedure. Our practitioners understand in considerable detail the rules, best practices (including the unwritten ones) and approaches which are often used in the multicultural setting of international arbitration. Whereas most law firms are guided by their knowledge of domestic practice, the lawyers of Conway & Partners are well versed in the unique procedures commonly employed in international arbitration;
- Effective oral representation before international tribunals. This is an important skill set and it is one of the unique advantages which our firm has to offer. We have an experienced team of practitioners who regularly appear in hearings before tribunals in jurisdictions around the world, and know how to effectively conduct witness examinations and present oral argument in international arbitration.
The industries most often represented by Conway & Partners’ arbitration team include the construction & engineering, (information) technology, manufacturing, petrochemical, transport and insurance sectors. Conway & Partners lawyers have, however, represented parties involved in a wide variety of disputes from other sectors due to their expertise in the area of international arbitration. To review a summary of past cases handled by our arbitration team, please click here.