Lisa Bench Nieuwveld
|Practice Area(s):||International Arbitration
Corporate & Commercial
Foreign Direct Investment
|Sector(s):||Construction & Engineering
Information & Entertainment Technology
Lisa has extensive experience with international arbitration and international litigation. She has worked with both investors in treaty-based disputes and businesses in international commercial litigations and arbitrations involving contracts, joint ventures, construction and other commercial matters, under the rules of such arbitral institutions as the ICC, WIPO, NAI, ICDR and LCIA. She is admitted to the Southern District Court of New York and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals and has handled matters pertaining to foreign judgment and international arbitration award recognitions.
Lisa is also an adjunct professor at Florida State University College of Law teaching International Arbitration. Lisa also acts as an arbitrator. She is listed with the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (www.diac.ae) on its Panel of Arbitrators, with the Australian Centre for International Arbitration (www.acica.com) on their List of Arbitrators, on the Vienna International Arbitration Centre's List of Practitioners (www.internationales-schiedsgericht.at) and the World Intellectual Property Organization (wipo.int) List of Arbitrators.
Lisa is a member of the New York Bar and the Florida Bar. Lisa speaks English (native), Dutch, Spanish and basic French. She is a permanent contributor to the KluwerArbitrationBlog.com, a frequenter publisher and a regular presenter at conferences.
A Dutch investor against an Eastern European government for an indirect expropriation of their investment in an insurance company (ad hoc proceedings);>
A Dutch technology company against a local Japanese partner for breaches of their joint venture agreement (WIPO proceedings);
A Russian company's subsidiary in an enforcement procedure when the arbitral award was set aside in the state in which it was awarded;
A dredger against a contractor in the Middle East accused of breaching the construction agreement (ICC proceedings);
An European manufacturer of critical fluid containers in a sub-contract dispute with a European installer (local counsel; ICDR proceedings); and
An American Plaintiff against a medical supplies company over the breach of a contract (NAI proceedings).
Publications and Speeches
- Speaker: In-House Counsel Meet-up Group CLE,Negotiation Skills: The Principled Method, 14 April 2011, New York City;
- Speaker: American Bar Association and Los Angeles County Bar Association,What General Counsel Really Think About International Arbitration, 20 April 2011, Los Angeles, California;
- Speaker: American Bar Association International Law Section Spring Meeting,Changing the Rules: A Review of the Important Changes to the UNCITRAL, ICC, and the IBA Rules of Evidence, 8 April 2011, Washington D.C.;
- Speaker: Los Angeles Bar International Law Section CLE Seminar,A New Transnational Battleground: Current Issues in the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Judgments, 28 October 2010, Los Angeles, California;
- Speaker: In-House Counsel Meet-Up Group CLE,International Arbitration: How to Avoid the Other Country's Courts, 4 November 2010, New York City, New York.
- Program Chair: ABA International Spring Meeting,US Style Summary Judgment in Mainstream International Commercial Arbitration?, 14 April 2010, New York City, New York;
- Speaker: Florida Bar International Law Section: Annual International Litigation and Arbitration Conference:Recognition and Enforcement of Arbitral Awards, 12 February 2010, Miami, Florida;
- Speaker: IBA and ABA International Law Section Joint Program: The Next Big Wave of Cross Border Litigation,EU Rules on Applicable Law in Contracts and Torts, 7 November 2008, Miami, Florida;
- Program Chair/Speaker: ABA International Fall Meeting,US Style Class Actions Reach European Shores, 25 September 2008, Brussels, Belgium;
- Arbitrator: Regional Pre-Willem Vis Moot Arbitration, Peace Palace, The Hague, Netherlands, 2007 - 2010;
- Faculty Speaker: lawline.com CLE,Overview of International Arbitration, 2010-present, on-line.
- Summary Arbitration Proceedings: A Comparison between the English and Netherlands Regimes, 26/1 Arbitration International 139 (Winter 2010) (co-authored)
- Florida Continues to Lead the Nation in Mediation, 81/7 The Florida Bar Journal44 (July/August 2007). (The Florida Bar)
- Is this really about what we call our food or something else:The WTO food name case over the protection of geographical indications of origin, 41/3 The International Lawyer 891 (Oct. 2007).
- UNIDROIT Principles: Are They Law?, 11 The Vindobona J. of Comm. L. & Arb. 299-304 (2007). (co-authored)
- ICC Advance on Costs: Strategical Games, 20/2 Int'l L. Practicum 114 (Autumn 2007). (New York State Bar Association)
- ICC Advance on Costs: Strategical Games, 8/1 The Int'l Arb. News 11 (Spring 2008) (ABA)
- COMMENT:Netherlands Arbitration Case Law, 42/2 The International Lawyer 2007 Year-in-Review 1002 (2008). (co-authored).
- Foreign Private Issuers May Get a Break, XXIV/1 International Law Quarterly (Summer/Fall 2008). (Int'l Law Section, Florida Bar)
- The Emerging European SPAC Market, 2/11 Bloomberg's European Law Journal 45 (November 2008). (co-authored)
- COMMENT:Rome I and II EU Regulations, 43/2 The International Lawyer 2008 Year-in-Review (Summer 2009).
- Yukos v. Rosneft: The Dutch Courts Find that Exceptional Circumstances Exist, posted 11 Feb. 2010 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- Provisional Application of the Energy Charter Treaty: Article 45(1) "Limitation Clause", posted 16 Feb. 2010 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- ICC Rules: What Do You Do When the Respondent Refuses to Pay its Portion of the Advance on Costs? An Alternative Approach, posted 23 Feb. 2010 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- Respondents Play with Advance on Costs as a Strategy: Do Claimants as Well?, posted 5 Mar. 2010 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- Effective July 1, 2010, Florida's Arbitration Act Now Incorporates the UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration, posted 4 Aug. 2010 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- Should the US FAA Follow the Example Set by Florida's Newly Enacted Arbitration Act?, posted 12 Aug. 2010 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- Why Doesn't New York Consider Adopting the Model Law after Florida's Example?, posted 23 Aug. 2010 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- Bilateral Investment Treaty Protections and Not-For-Profits: Practically, is it worth it?,posted 26 Aug. 2010 (www.kluwerarbitrationlog.com).
- Do We Need Another Arbitral Institute? Maybe., posted 7 Dec. 2010 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- BIT Claim or Contract Claim?, posted 16 Dec. 2010 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- US Supreme Court Denies Cert for Lloyds v Lagstein, posted 28 Dec. 2010 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- Choosing the Weathered Veteran or the Young Buck?, posted 8 Jan. 2011 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com). [Winner of Best ADR Blog, CIArb 2011]
- A Chance to Discuss Proposed or Published Changes to Key Arbitration Rules, posted 7 Apr. 2011 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- The European Advocate General Supports BIT Obligations in EC v. Slovakia, posted 12 Apr. 2011 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- Oral Hearing and Party Appointed Arbitrators: Guess?? Yep! That's Who Appointed Them!, posted 20 Apr. 2011 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- Egypt's Unrest - Dubai's Moment of Opportunity?, posted 2 May 2011 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- Third Party Funding - Investment of the Future?, posted 1 November 2011 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- Third Party Funding - Maintenance and Champerty - Where is it Thriving?, posted 7 November 2011 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- What do the Clients Want - International Arbitration or International Litigation?, posted 15 November 2011 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- Women in Arbitration - Lots of Talk, Any Changes?, posted 22 November 2011 (www.kluwerarbitrationblog.com).
- American Bar Association: International Law Section, International Arbitration Committee (Vice Chair);
- The Florida Bar: International Law Section;
- New York Bar: International Law Section.
- Adjunct Professor: Florida State University College of Law, Tallahassee, Florida,International Arbitration; and
- Adjunct Professor: Webster University Leiden, Netherlands campus,Principles of Negotiation, Sustainable Career.